Black Friday, but Make It Epic: Shopify Merchants Break Records With $2.9 Billion in SalesNovember 27, 2021
As a global commerce provider, we’re excited to announce today a record-setting Black Friday with sales of nearly $2.9* billion from independent and direct-to-consumer businesses worldwide, from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Black Friday in California. This represents a 21% increase over Black Friday in 2020 when sales by Shopify merchants surged 75% over 2019 driven by COVID-19 lockdowns, and is more than double their sales on Black Friday 2019.
Collectively, merchants on Shopify generated peak sales of nearly $3.1 million per minute at 12:02 PM EST on Black Friday, and merchants crossed $1 billion in sales by 4:00am EST, four hours earlier than Black Friday in 2020.
2021 Black Friday Global Highlights**
- Peak sales per minute: Nearly $3.1 million on Black Friday at 12:02 PM EST.
- Top selling countries & cities where shoppers made purchases from: United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, with the top-selling cities on Black Friday including London, New York, and Los Angeles.
- Mobile sales: 72% of sales were made on mobile devices versus 28% on desktop, an increase from 67% of sales made on mobile and 33% on desktop in 2020.
- Top product categories: Apparel and accessories followed by health & beauty and home & garden.
- Average cart price: $101.20 USD, which is up from last year’s Black Friday average of $90.70 USD.
- Cross-border orders worldwide: 15% on Black Friday as a percentage of total orders, with the most popular cross-border routes being United States-Canada, Canada-United States, and United Kingdom-United States.
- 23,000+ tonnes of carbon removal: funded to counteract emissions from the delivery of every order placed on Shopify’s platform on Black Friday. Learn more about how Shopify is eliminating the climate impact of merchant shipments here.
Visit datastories.shopify.com to view Shopify’s annual Black Friday / Cyber Monday Live Globe, which captures global commerce in real-time and demonstrates the impact of Shopify merchants globally.
*Shopify’s 2021 Black Friday data is based on sales by its more than 1.7 million businesses in approximately 175 countries around the world from Nov 25th 11:00 to Nov 27th 08:00 UTC.
**Shopify’s 2021 Black Friday data is based on sales by its more than 1.7 million businesses in approximately 175 countries around the world from November 25th 11:00 UTC to November 27th 04:30 UTC
All data presented here (including worldwide sales) is approximate and is based on various assumptions. All data is unaudited and is subject to adjustment. All financial figures are in USD.