Shopify Moves Ottawa Headquarters to 150 Elgin StreetOctober 16, 2014
Signs Over 100,000 Sq. Ft. of Office Space in Performance Court
OTTAWA, ON – October 16, 2014 - Shopify, the commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at their retail location, and everywhere in between today announced that it has moved its headquarters to Performance Court at 150 Elgin Street in Ottawa, Ontario.
“When we first started Shopify, we worked out of the Bridgehead coffee shop in the same neighbourhood. Now, after growing out of four different offices, we’re finally coming back to Elgin Street - you can say that we have come full circle” said Daniel Weinand, Co-founder and Chief Design Officer, Shopify.
The new office at 150 Elgin spans more than 100,000 square feet across 6 floors and will accommodate over 1,000 employees. The space was co-designed by Shopify and LineBox Studio, a local architecture firm with offices in Toronto and Ottawa.
“The fundamental principle in designing this office was to create a home. We invest a lot of time and resources on recruiting the right people to work in this organization, so it is incredibly important that we provide a space where everyone is comfortable and can work to their fullest potential,” said Weinand.
Facts about Shopify’s new office:
- Performance Court at 150 Elgin is a LEED Gold, Class A Office tower located in Ottawa’s central business district
- Features in Shopify’s office include a yoga studio with daily classes, a gourmet kitchen serving up free daily lunches, a massage room, various games rooms, a ball pit room, and more.
- Each floor in the Shopify office is meticulously designed around a specific theme - Canadian, Transportation, Gangster, Urban Street, Back Alley and Cottage Retreat
- Materials used to create the office include natural cork, locally sourced maple, oak and cedar wood
- Shopify has three other offices in Toronto, Montreal and Waterloo