We’re proud to support over one million businesses built on Shopify who are rewriting the rules for the modern economy.
Key findings from our 2019 Economic Impact Report include:
- Businesses built on Shopify generated $319B in global economic activity between 2016 and 2019, with $136B in 2019 alone (compared to $91B in 2018)
- Between 2016 and 2019, 52 countries saw more than $100M in economic activity supported by our merchants
- In 2019, 523,000 small businesses generated $6.9B+ in international sales
- Between 2016 and 2019, 18 countries saw more than $1B in economic activity supported by our merchants
- More than 2.1M full-time jobs were supported by our merchants (compared to 1.4M in 2018)
- Businesses on Shopify in emerging economies generated $3.4B in revenue in 2019 (compared to $1.9B in 2018)
- In Canada, $3.8B in revenue was generated by Shopify merchants last year (compared to $2.6B in 2018) and $2.4B of that was generated outside of Canada’s six largest cities (compared to $1.5B in 2018)
While the success of millions of independent business owners is critical to our world’s economic prosperity, the value creation of our ecosystem goes beyond economics. In our 2019 Sustainability Report, we shine a spotlight on our priorities as well as our 2019 actions and impact.
Highlights from our 2019 Sustainability Report include:
- We provided free local education to more than 15,000 entrepreneurs at our distributed programs (compared to 10,200, in 2018) and more than 68,000 entrepreneurs in our Shopify LA and San Francisco merchant spaces (compared to almost 3,000 in 2018)
- We co-created our theory of change at the inaugural Indigenomics Institute research forum, which guided the development of our strategy to support Indigenous entrepreneurs while furthering Indigenous economic reconciliation and well-being
- We continued to invest in computing education, with 2,200+ youth engaged via our Link<ed>, Technovation Girls and STEMing Up community partnerships and a total of 60+ students enrolled in Dev Degree
- We launched Shopify’s Sustainability Fund, committing a minimum of $5M annually to fight for the environment, an amount that will increase based on our revenue growth
We continue to build a 100-year company with our ecosystem of merchants and partners, our people, our communities and the world.